IFN-alpha and IFN-beta
Interferons alpha and beta (IFN-α / IFN-β), also known as type 1 interferons,, are important cytokines in the antiviral immune response. IFN-alpha and beta are released by virally-infected cells and act to slow viral replication by blocking viral protein synthesis.
- Interferons alpha and beta (IFN-alpha / IFN-beta)
- Also known as type 1 interferons
- Produced by leukocytes and virally-infected cells
- Slows viral replication by halting protein synthesis
- Degrades mRNA in virally-infected cells
- Type 1 interferons may be used as treatment in viral infections (e.g. hepatitis C)